In recent years, a lot of electronic devices have been introduced to the market in order to meet the varied needs of people. These devices include smartphones, smart TVs and, of course, smartwatches.
If you own a smartwatch or are planning on getting one and you’re wondering how you can connect a smartwatch to Wi-Fi connection at home or in the office, we will be explaining how you can do so in this article.
After all, there’s really no point if your smartwatch has a lot of useful functions and you can’t get it connected to the internet to use them.
Check out how to connect a smartwatch to Wi-Fi in the steps below:
How To Connect A Smartwatch To Wi-Fi – Android Users
If your watch is paired with your Android phone and it has a Wi-Fi connection, this means that your watch can automatically connect to saved Wi-Fi networks. This is still valid even when it loses the Bluetooth connection with your smartphone. (Click here to learn How To Connect A Smartwatch To An Android Phone).
The great thing about this is the fact that your smartwatch and smartphone stay automatically synced at any distance over the internet. This means you can get notifications and use voice search on your smartwatch. You can do this wherever you are in your home or work and even when you leave your phone in a different room of the house.
To connect your smartwatch to your Wi-Fi, follow the steps below:
- Press the middle pusher button to start up the display.
- Press the middle pusher button so you can see the app menu.
- Scroll and tap on Settings.
- Tap on Connectivity.
- Tap on Wi-Fi.
- Tap on Wi-Fi off to turn it on. When the Wi-Fi is on, it should say “automatic.”
The video below describes this process if you still need some clarity.
If the Wi-Fi is set to automatic, your smartwatch will connect automatically to any of the available networks anytime your watch is not connected to your smartphone’s Bluetooth connection.
To achieve this, follow the steps below.
- Tap on add network.
- Scroll down to find your Wi-Fi network.
- When you find it, tap on the name.
- Power on your smartphone and start up the Wear OS Google App.
- Tap enter on your smartphone to finish up the password entry.
- Enter the password on your phone.
Please note that your smartwatch can’t connect to Wi-Fi networks which take you to another page before you can connect. Examples of these are Wi-Fi networks at establishments like coffee shops and hotels. It also can’t be connected to 5GHz networks.
Again, you can only connect to known networks as long as the Wi-Fi for your smartwatch is on. Once Wi-Fi is turned on your smartwatch, it will connect automatically to Wi-Fi networks saved on your smartphone.
How To Connect A Smartwatch To Wi-Fi – iPhone And iPad Users
To turn on the Wi-Fi follow the steps below.
- If your screen is dim, tap on it to wake up your smartwatch.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen.
- Tap settings. If you don’t see it immediately, swipe left and tap on Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on Connectivity, then tap on Wi-Fi. If the Wi-Fi is set to off, tap on Wi-Fi in order to switch it to Automatic.
Here is a short video describing this process below:
To change or add the Wi-Fi Network of your smartwatch, follow the steps below.
- If your screen is dim, tap the screen to wake up your smartwatch.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen.
- Tap on Settings. If you don’t see it immediately, swipe left and tap on Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on connectivity, then tap on Wi-Fi, then tap on Add Network.
- If you’re prompted to put in a password, tap on Enter Password on your iPhone.
- On your iPhone, open the Wear OS app.
- When you’re prompted, input the password on your phone. Now tap on join.
Please note that your smartwatch can’t connect to Wifi networks which take you to another page before you can connect. Examples of these are Wifi networks at establishments like coffee shops and hotels. It also can’t be connected to 5GHz networks.
Why Can’t I Pair My Smartwatch To My Smartphone?
You need to make sure that your smartwatch is powered on and that the Bluetooth function is enabled on your smartphone.
Next, you need to launch the Wear OS by Google App and follow the instructions given to you on the screen in the process of pairing your watch.
If it still fails to connect, check the Bluetooth menu on your phone. If you can see the smartwatch listed, remove it. Now you will need to launch the Wear OS by Google App again and repeat the pairing process.